American Board of Homeotherapeutics
Diplomate Specialty Certification
The ABHt was founded in 1959 and incorporated in 1960 (New York) for the purpose of promoting the science of homeopathy, and demonstrating its effectiveness to the medical profession, and insuring homeopathy's growth as a viable medical specialty in the U.S. The ABHt grants Diplomate (advanced specialty) status (D.Ht.) to those medical and osteopathic physician applicants who meet the prerequisites and successfully pass a written and an oral examination.
Prerequisites for Candidates for Diplomate Examination by the American Board of Homeotherapeutics
1. Applicants must be eligible for American Institute of Homeopathy membership (currently licensed medical or osteopathic physicians in the USA).
2. Applicants must hold a Medical Doctor (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) degree and be licensed to practice medicine in the state or province in which they reside in the U.S. or Canada. (A photocopy of the medical license is to accompany the application).
3. Applicants must have practiced homeopathy for a minimum of 3 years.
4. Applicants must have accumulated a minimum of 350 hours of approved homeopathic education credits; e.g., NCH Postgraduate Summer Course, IFH Postgraduate Course, etc., and provide documentation of such with the application.
5. Applicants must function under unquestionable moral and professional standards to which two members of the ABHt have attested.
6. Applicants must present, at least two months prior to the scheduled examination, 10 chronic, treated cases. Each case must have been treated for a minimum of 1 year. It is preferable to have a follow-up of three years on at least 5 of the submitted cases. Please submit each case typed and double spaced, including the initial history, examination, repertorial analysis, materia medica differential and follow up, with any necessary subsequent repertorizations.
7. Applicants must apply to Dr. Irene Sebastian, American Board of Homeotherapeutics, 401 Veterans Memorial Blvd, suite 203, Metairie LA 70005, for the examination with a check made out to the ABHt in the amount of $500.00 at least two months prior to the examination.
Prerequisites for Maintaining Diplomate Status in the American Board of Homeotherapeutics
1) Diplomates must accumulate a minimum of 30 hours of continuing homeopathic education credit every three years
a) Approved course: 1hr = 1 credit
b) Preceptor time: 1hr = 1 credit
c) Teaching time: 1hr = 5 credits
2) Diplomates must submit an article to the American Journal of Homeopathic Medicine for consideration for publication every three years.
a) Submit one article 5 credits
b) Submit clinical case:
- Grand rounds 5 credits
- 3 short cases 1 credit
3) Diplomates pay annual dues of $50.00.
Diplomate Certification Contact Person
Irene Sebastian, MD, PhD, DHt
President, American Board of Homeotherapeutics
401 Veterans Memorial Blvd, suite 203
Metairie LA 70005